Mustard Chicken and Spinach Salad in a Mason Jar
Grab this Mason jar salad and go anywhere! The combination of chicken and spinach, with walnuts and sweet grapes tastes like a gourmet salad from a restaurant. It’s got a flavorful mustard and herb dressing that’s so simple to make, you might find yourself whipping up an extra batch to keep in the fridge for other meals. The dressing also makes a great marinade for chicken, or drizzle on top of steamed vegetables.
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. country-style Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped tarragon
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 8 oz. cooked chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup red grapes
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- ¼ cup walnut halves
Combine vinegar, oil, mustard, and tarragon in a small bowl; whisk to blend. Evenly divide dressing between 4 half-pint Mason jars. Set aside.
Evenly layer celery, chicken, grapes, spinach, and walnuts on top of dressing in jars.
Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Shake before serving.
- Almonds – Substitute sliced, toasted almonds for walnuts
- Apples – Substitute ½ cup apples tossed in 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice for ½ cup grapes
- Curry Dressing – Substitute ¼ cup reduced fat (2%) plain Greek yogurt and ½ tsp. curry powder for red wine vinegar, mustard, and tarragon
- Watercress – Substitute watercress for spinach